Getting optimal nutrition becomes especially important when you are trying to conceive or are having a baby. Since your baby is completely dependent upon you for nutrition, it is essential you make healthy nutrition choices that will benefit both you and the baby.
Fortunately, consuming prenatal vitamins makes it easier for moms to get proper nutrition. Selecting the best prenatal vitamins can be a challenge for parents. The reason for this is that there are so many different options available to you.
Rest assured, this buyer’s guide contains a list of some of the most popular products in the market.
Why Should You Choose Your Prenatal Vitamins Carefully
Nothing is more important than the health of your unborn child. Take time to choose the best prenatal vitamins so that you can avoid the following problems:
Trouble Swallowing The Pill
Some multivitamins may be difficult to swallow which is why we suggest you invest in a pill with a slicker coating. If it doesn’t do you any harm, consider opting for prenatal vitamins that are without calcium since they tend to be smaller.
If you are considering this option, consider talking to your health professional so that they can recommend other ways to include more of this essential mineral in your diet. You may also opt for a liquid or chewable tablet if that works for you. However, make sure you’re okay with how the multi-vitamin tastes.
While taking your multivitamins with a meal or a snack can or prevent nausea, some women may still experience it. It is thus essential you invest in a vitamin supplement that won’t make you feel queasy. Talk to your doctor about the problem, and they will be happy to recommend you a different brand.
Can Result In Diarrhea, Gas Or Constipation
The extra iron content in your pill could be the culprit here. Most doctors recommend that you start including fiber-rich foods and plenty of fluids in your diet.
Getting regular exercise may also help however if that doesn’t work out, you should consider a pill that is more gentle on the stomach. You can consult your doctor for a more suitable recommendation.
Though it is incredibly rare, some people may experience a serious allergic reaction after consuming certain supplements. This reason is why you should always opt for products manufactured by reputable brands that have been around for years.
Symptoms such as vomiting, swelling, and extreme nausea are all clear signs of an allergic reaction. Seek immediate medical health if you experience these side effects.
List Of Essential Vitamins And Minerals
Here’s a list of the most important vitamins and minerals and how they can help:
- Vitamin A: Promotes healthy brain and eye development. Also, ensures proper respiratory development of the baby
- Vitamin B1:Supports baby’s brain development and nervous system
- Vitamin B2:Promotes the formation of healthy skin and eyes
- Vitamin B3: Eases nausea and prevents nausea
- Vitamin B5:Boosts the production of hormones and eases leg cramps
- Vitamin B6:Promotes the formation of red blood cell and can help cure morning sickness
- Vitamin B7: Works collectively with other B vitamins and helps release energy from food
- Folate/Folic Acid: Reduces the risks of spina bifida and neural tube defects in babies
- Vitamin B12:Reduces the risks of congenital disabilities that can affect the development of the central nervous system and spine. It also promotes blood formation and boosts the growth of red blood cells.
- Vitamin C: Helps the body absorb iron and prevents stress
- Vitamin D: Plays a vital role in strengthening the baby’s bones and teeth. Vitamin D also promotes the absorption of calcium and phosphorus
- Vitamin E: Promotes overall metabolism and wellness that may prevent miscarriages
- Vitamin K:Promotes healthy bone formation, healing and blood clotting
- Calcium:Essential for healthy teeth and bones
- Copper:Plays an essential role in storing iron in the body
- Iron:Important component of hemoglobin that helps transport oxygen in the body
- Iodine: Supports fetal growth and health. Iodine is also essential for healthy thyroid function
- Magnesium: Encourages healthy fetal birth weight and blood pressure
- Zinc: Supports muscles and nerve function. It also helps balance fluids in the body
What To Pay Attention When Choosing Your Prenatal Vitamins
It’s never too early to start caring for your baby! This reason is why you should consider including prenatal vitamins in your diet. Here are a couple of factors you should consider when choosing prenatal vitamins:
Prenatal vitamins are designed to meet the growing nutritional needs of expecting mothers and developing babies. These multivitamins may not be a substitute for healthy fruits and vegetables, but they still complement your balanced diet, ensuring your baby gets all the vital nutrients and vitamins he needs.
Look for prenatal supplements that include a range of key nutrients recommended by your doctor. Some of the most prominent names include folate, iodine, vitamin D that helps supports the baby’s development. Calcium is another prominent ingredient that is crucial for developing healthy bones and teeth.
Talk to your doctor so that they can identify the right prenatal supplement that is suitable according to your needs.
Does It Include DHA
DHA is an essential fatty acid not commonly found in most prenatal vitamins. However, the fatty acid offers numerous benefits to the mother and baby. It is essential you invest in prenatal vitamins that include this important ingredient.
DHA supports the healthy development of the baby’s eyes and brain. If the ingredient is not part of the formula, you may have to take the supplement separately alongside your prenatal vitamins.
Safe To Use
Nothing is more important than the health and safety of your unborn child. It is essential you opt for supplements that are free of artificial colors, flavorings, and dyes.
We also suggest you use products that contain plant-based ingredients and do not contain animal-byproducts. This formula will reduce the risks of side effects caused by the multi-vitamin.
Easy To Digest
If you have a sensitive stomach, then you will benefit from a product that easy to digest.
Diarrhea is a common side effect of consuming prenatal vitamins however the effects are usually temporary since the body requires some time to adjust to the medication. However, if the problem persists, you may have to opt for an alternative that is easy to digest.
Look out for products that contain fermented ingredients to aid digestion. Some products also contain herbal ingredients that can boost digestion.
Invest In Prenatal Vitamins Designed For You
You can’t stress enough on this point: More is not always a good idea when it comes to consuming vitamins, so stick to the recommended dosage. Don’t include an extra supplement in your diet unless your doctor thinks it’s a good idea.
Also, you need to be extra careful if you are already using herbal supplements as an overdose of herbs can be harmful to the baby. Additionally, it’s important to note the supplements are not a replacement for a healthy diet. This reason is why it is important to eat a nutritious, well-balanced diet throughout your pregnancy.
Because of the rise in health problems, many parents are opting for organic products to reduce the risk of side effects. Opt for organic products that are only made using natural ingredients. This step will ensure that your baby receives nothing but quality nutrition.
Opt For A Reputable Brand
Unlike foods and medication, supplements and vitamins are regulated by the FDA. This regulation means that the FDA does not test supplements and vitamins and does not test for contamination of potentially harmful chemicals that might be present in the product.
It is thus essential you opt for a product that is manufactured by a reputable brand. It’s worth keeping in mind that companies that have a wider distribution are most likely to produce safer products. Also, when in doubt, speak to your doctor or ask them to recommend a multivitamin for you.
Best Prenatal Vitamins
Here’s our recommendation for the best Prenatal Vitamins:
Winner – New Chapter Perfect Prenatal Vitamins
The New Chapter Perfect Prenatal Vitamins is a range of fermented vitamins that you trust to gain more than simple isolated nutrition. Getting proper nutrition is important for women who are pregnant or are planning on having a baby.
Taking these supplements will allow you to get enough nutrition for two so that you and the baby are healthy and happy. Health professionals recommend the use of New Chapter Perfect Prenatal Vitamins so that you can get consistent nutritional support.
Some Notable Features Of The Product Include
- Made using high-quality ingredients which you can trust.
- Includes fermented ingredients such as yogurt and kombucha to aid digestion
- Can be consumed during any time of the day without worrying about nausea
- Free from animal gelatin and other harmful by-products
It contains vital nutrients such as Vitamin D3, Folic Acid and Vitamin B that will help the body naturally produce energy.
Unlike other prenatal vitamins on the market, New Chapter Perfect Prenatal Vitamins are different because they contain fermented ingredients such as kombucha and yogurt. The fermented recipes utilize individual vitamins and minerals that are cultured in whole-food super broth to produce a unique mix of multivitamins.
Expecting moms can use these supplements without worrying about its ingredients. The bottle contains organic prenatal vitamins that are perfectly healthy for expecting mothers. The brand also uses non-GMO products because it cares for its customers and believes in doing what’s best for Mother Nature.
Perfect Prenatal uses organic herbs and vegetables including superfoods such as organic Broccoli and Kale. Best of all, expecting mothers can use these vitamins on an empty stomach without worrying about nausea. The digestible pill will not result in an empty stomach and can be consumed any time of the day at your convenience.
Runner-Up – Rainbow Light – Prenatal One Multivitamin
The Rainbow Light Prenatal One Multivitamin is designed to offer expecting moms and their babies just the right amount of vitamins and minerals they need to stay healthy.
The supplements are made using superfood extracts to ensure your baby gets optimal nutrition. Consuming the multivitamin also boosts energy levels so that you start your day with a new kick.
Some Notable Features Of The Product Include
- Food-based vitamins that provide expecting mothers all the vital vitamins and minerals they need including vitamins A, C, and D2. These vitamins play a crucial role in supporting bone, skin and boosting a healthy immune system
- Easy to digest tablets that will also increase energy levels
- Offers 800 micrograms of folic acid required for promoting healthy spinal and brain development
- Incorporates superfood additions including red raspberry, spirulina and a bunch of plant-sourced enzymes that can boost digestion
- Made using gluten and vegan-free ingredients. All the ingredients go through a purity test to ensure quality
- Free of artificial flavorings, sweeteners, and preservatives
Unlike other prenatal vitamins on the market that are difficult to digest, the Rainbow Light – Prenatal One Multivitamin is made using plant-source enzymes including ginger juice and probiotics that aids digestion. Moms will be pleased to know that the product contains no animal ingredients, nuts, soy, yeast and artificial colors.
The supplements contain 30 milligrams of non-constipating iron that boosts red blood cell production in the body and supports metabolism.
Vegetarian and vegan moms will be pleased to know that the Rainbow Light Prenatal One Multivitamin is safe to consume and does not contain any animal byproducts.
Furthermore, the brand supports 10:1 donations to the Vitamin Angels Maternal Health Project.
This worldwide project aims to offer life-saving nutritional support to reduce morbidity and mortality rates caused by nutritional deficiencies.
This way, you can make a difference to some else’s life too while preparing for the arrival of your bundle of joy.
Alternative – Garden Of Life Vegetarian Prenatal Multivitamin Supplement
The Vitamin Code RAW Prenatal Multivitamin Supplement is an amazing whole-food multi-nutrient formula that is designed to meet the nutritional requirements of women during pregnancy, lactation, and pre-conception. This product provides ample amount of nutrition for the mom and the developing baby.
Some Notable Features Of The Product Include
- Prenatal multivitamins are formulated using high quality nutritious raw whole foods
- These multivitamins can be by mothers during the pregnancy and after the birth of the baby to support lactation
- Prenatal women’s vitamins include ginger, vitamin D, probiotics for extra digestive support
- Contains the right amount of iron that promotes the development of red blood cells and supports good heart health. It also contains Vitamin E, B-complex, and C for the development of healthy neural tube
- Completely raw without the use of added binders or fillers. The product is both gluten-free and vegetarians
The product uses high-quality ingredients that are free of artificial flavors, colors, additives and synthetic binders typically used in tablets. It utilizes a base of 23 fruits and vegetables along with food cofactors.
RAW Prenatal does an excellent job in supporting the mother’s immune system, ensuring her unborn child receives essential vitamins and minerals for healthy development.
It contains iron that supports they heart along with a highly recommended dose of 800 mcg folate that promotes the development for healthy neural tube development. For healthy skin and nails, the multi-vitamins also contain vitamin A, C along with copper and iron.
The multivitamin supplements are an excellent choice for moms who are having a difficult time including the right amount of nutrients and minerals in their diet.
Alternative – Zahler Prenatal DHA, Premium Prenatal Vitamins
The Zahler Prenatal DHA is a premium prenatal vitamin supplement that includes a 250 mg dose of DHA that is beneficial for the expecting mother’s and baby’s health during pregnancy. Consuming DHA during pregnancy is known to boost brain and eye health.
This multi-vitamin contains the perfect blend of nutrients that will improve your overall health. Zahler recognizes the need for promoting optimal nutrition and has devised a product that reduces the risks of congenital disabilities.
Some Notable Features Of The Product Include
- Includes 25 vitamins along with 300mg of DHA to boost brain and eye health of the mother and baby
- Complete prenatal supplement that ensures the mother receives optimal amounts of nutrition
- A perfectly balanced synergistic formula that offers an optimal ratio of nutrients to the mother and the developing baby, which boosts metabolism and nutrient absorption rate.
- Prenatal DHA includes optimal ingredients and also contains 300mg of DHA that can increase bone function, neural tube, mental health and vision
This multi-vitamin supplement is gentle on the stomach and is thus easy to digest for expecting mothers. In fact, it contains a soft gel delivery system that makes the tablet easy to swallow. Additionally, you won’t have to worry about the multivitamin leaving a bad aftertaste.
The product uses a balanced synergistic formula that offers acurated combination of nutrients that is beneficial for the developing baby. For added safety, the product delivers optimal ratios of absorption. Rest assured, each product undergoes testing and analysis to guarantee purity.
Zahler’s uses high-quality unadulterated ingredients that are perfectly safe for consumption during pregnancy. The brand manufactures this product in the brand’s state-of-art NNFA, GMP, and NSF facility to meet the highest nutraceutical standards.
So, if you’re in search of a prenatal vitamin brand that is perfectly safe to use, the Zahler Prenatal DHA is an excellent option.
Alternative – Premium Prenatal Vitamins By Builda Baby
Are you in search of prenatal vitamins that are free of artificial colorings, magnesium stearate, and artificial flavorings? Well then, the Premium Prenatal Vitamins is just what you need. The product is designed to cater the needs of the expecting mother and the developing baby.
It is considered ideal for prenatal, lactation and preconception. Taking a multivitamin tablet every day can sure to be beneficial for your health and development, ensuring the overall wellbeing of the new mom.
Premium Prenatal Vitamins includes the following ingredients:
- Vitamin A and C: Includes vitamin A and C that helps maintain a strong immune system and boosts cell division.
- Folic Acid: The use of folic acid is recommended by health professionals and midwives around the world to reduce the risks of neural tube defects.
- Vitamin D, magnesium and calcium:These ingredients help develop a healthy bone structure and result in radiant teeth.
- Marshmallow Root and Chamomile:Aids digestion and soothes the stomach.
- Fennel Seed and Blessed Thistle: Promotes lactation and is beneficial for milk production.
Some Notable Features Of The Product Include
Ideal for pregnancy, lactation, and preconception that is beneficial for development for the baby and the new momma. Speak to your doctor to consult whether you should continue using the multivitamins after the baby is born
Does not include any harmful ingredients that can be dangerous for your health or the health of the baby.
The product is formulated using essential herbs such as leaf stinging nettle, marshmallow root, fenugreek and fennel seed.
Mothers can rest assured that the product is perfectly safe to use. Builda Baby produces Premium Prenatal Vitamins in an FDA, and GMP certified registered facility.
This process ensures the supplements are free of extra excipients and unnecessary ingredients
At Builda Baby, the company is incredibly passionate about promoting optimal mother’s and baby’s health and thus focuses on producing high-quality multivitamins.
While prenatal vitamins might not substitute a healthy diet, it can bridge nutritional gaps in your diet. Follow the instructions mentioned above to make the right purchase.
Last update on 2020-07-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API